Friday 26 February 2010

The Prisoner?

Well here I am again. Today I've thinking about my agoraphobia... It's a curse, a disabling curse.
I can't remember the last time I actually went out. I've had a little drive in the car, but as for going for a walk it must have been sometime before Christmas. Everyday I tell myself I'm going to go out but I never get round to it. Too scared to venture out in the big bad world. I hate it. I long for the days when I could go out on a regular basis, whether it was just for a drive or a nice walk in the countryside.
When me & Jamie first got together we used to go for some lovely long walks, taking in the fresh air & scenery. There were times we'd go up onto the Monsal trail & walk for hours talking about everything, then realise we'd covered a few miles & have to walk back. But I loved it, all of it. Best of all spending quality time with Jamie.
I then became physically unwell, which had a knock on effect & my mental health started to slip. I started to stop going out. Limited the the time I spent with my friends. Now I don't even see them. I get nervous when they say they're coming to see me & quite often think of an excuse as to why I can't see them. I do manage sometimes & when I do I do feel so much better for it.
My wish is to be able to chuck some clothes on & say " fuck it & let's go for a walk/drive " but I just can't do it now.
I think one of the reasons I get so frustrated is cos of what I used to be like. I could go anywhere & do anything. But my life, in that way, has changed so much.
Years ago nothing really phased me, I'd try almost anything. Yet now I even struggle to get dressed. The only time I get dressed now is if I've got an appointment & I have to leave the flat.
I wake most mornings (if I've slept) hating myself for being, how I see it, pathetic. At the end of the day what could happen to me if I did venture out? Nothing. People are out everyday & survive it so why can't I?
I feel I'm constantly letting Jamie down. He tries to encourage me day in day out, but again I find some kind of excuse not to do whatever he's suggested. I don't know how he puts up with me, I'm just thankful that he does.
I do get frustrated that Jamie blames himself for how I am, but none of it is his fault. I have struggled at different times with this " disease ". I do eventually come out of it but this time it has gone on for far too long & no matter how hard I have tried, on occasions, it's just not happening & I guess I'm beginning to give up now. It scares me that this is my life now & I can't see the end of it.
I long for the day when all these feelings go & I can lead a " normal " life, whatever " normal " is. I know everyone's normal is different but I don't know what my normal is any more. Does it mean I'm going to be trapped in my flat 'til my dying day? I do long to go outside & feel & taste the fresh air.
I could cry sometimes about it, but then what's that going to do? It's not going to change the situation.
I want so many things in my life to change, & I know it's only me that can change it but I no longer know if I'm capable of doing it. I hate this feeling of defeat.
It's times like these when my depression & self harm thoughts come into my mind. It seems like the only way forward. I guess that's kind of sad really.
I'm not wanting sympathy, just understanding. Is that too much to ask for?
I spoke to my daughter, who's 16, last night online. She'd read my ' Wants & Needs ' piece & as she's in a band & quite often writes the lyrics as well as composing the music, she's going to try & turn it into a song. The band is called The Noble Clowns & you can find them on You Tube & Blip.fm. Or check out their website http://www.thenobleclowns.skyblog.com/. They consist of my daughter, my younger son & a friend of theirs.
I've not seen them for just over eight years, as they live in France & my agoraphobia has prevented me from visiting them. There is a possibility they may come for a visit but just the thought of seeing them again, after all this time, has sent me into panic mode. Ridiculous I know but this is how I am now. Scared of life & what it could possibly hold for me.
I guess it'll just have to the ' one day at a time ' type thing. But that's the problem I start to worry about things before they happen & guess that what prevents me from going out & enjoying myself. I'm constantly saying over & over in my mind " what if...".
I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes. Maybe I am, who knows. Maybe it's just some kind of punishment I'm getting for the stuff I've done in the past, especially where the children are concerned. But that's a whole different story, which I will share at some point.
I guess for now I will just have to cope as best I can with my thoughts & feelings & keep plodding on & see what happens & hope things will improve.
Well I guess that's me done for now. Thanks for taking the time to read.


1 comment:

  1. wish I knew how to solve the agoraphobia, I've missed you so much while it's been bad. Loving the kids band, totally brilliant!

    Love you lady. Hope life picks up for you soon xx

    ReplyDelete